Also known as Tipu's Fort, Palakkad Fort was supposedly built to hasten
communication between Coimbatore and the West Coast. In 1784 AD, after
a siege lasting eleven days, the British Colonel, Fullerton stormed the
Fort. It later fell into the hands of the Zamorin's troops but was recaptured
by the British in 1790 AD. Martyr's Column, Open Air Auditorium called
"Rappadi" are located in the spacious grounds of the Fort, now preserved
by the Archaeological Survey Of India. There is also a Children's park
on one of the sides of the Fort.